I need to write about Mastodon's new album Marrow Deep as it has just been released. It's an album that feels like return to roots and at the same time the first long stride towards the future. Brent is surely missing but he didn't take the vision with him. I always liked his input, his raspy crooning vocals and bluesy guitar-work but I also like the songs that he apparently didn't enjoy performing, the more metal and aggressive side of Mastodon.
There are songs with punkish rage that could've been from Leviathan, but there are also songs that are way prettier and melodic than those of yesteryear. I was afraid that this "comeback" album would be watered-down, something for fans to pass the time with until Mastodonians get their shit straight, but no, Marrow Deep is a complete, full, stand-alone experience that doesn't shy away from their discography.
They say it themselves in the intro of Poisoned Weapons:
And I felt so fucking aliveFirst thing that comes to my mind is how energetic the album sounds. It's hard to believe that these guys have already had such an accomplished career but are still able to create something so unique and interesting. They sure are no slouches. I would highlight Troy's vocals that sound better and more versatile than ever. His increased vocal duties level brilliantly the hole Brent left. Brann is still singing but this time his parts feel a bit more evocative instead of active, in a good way. Both singers are definitely bringing their A-game, having more color and texture in their voices than ever.
If there was any doubt that they couldn't keep the train moving, then rest assured, Marrow Deep is a very competent addition to Mastodon's catalog.
Comments
Post a Comment