I like text and opinions. I don't like adding pictures or other fancy elements, so I don't add them. I can assure you, though, that the movie looks stunning.
Angel's Egg (Tenshi no Tamago) is an artistic anime movie released in 1985. It's old and almost forgotten but it did receive a remaster treatment in 2025 which is nice.
The movie is cryptic and very symbolic. There's a girl protecting a big egg and she is afraid of a stranger who seems to want the egg for himself. He sort of doesn't. Girl thinks that an angel will hatch from the egg. Stranger wants to break it in order to know what's in it.
They move through a desolate and abandoned world. You can really feel the emptiness and the wind and the water. The world is crude but the visuals are stunning.
There are many interpretations about the story but I recommend watching it knowing as little as possible. Dive deep into the feelings that the movie awakes in you without worrying if you understood it correctly or if you understood it at all. Let it wash over you. Make your own conclusions. Or even better, watch it with someone who has brains and talk about it afterwards like we did back in the day.
Runtime is 71 minutes but Angel's Egg feels like a short film. Don't let the anime aesthetics fool you, there's no fan service, teens with supernatural powers, ninjas or mechs. This is not meant for children or teens. This is a journey to subconscious.
Comments
Post a Comment